GMA Now is a USB-OTG digital TV receiver dongle that can be plugged into an Android phone and enables users to watch live TV on the go for free in clear and crisp video quality and enjoy its interactive features. This plug and play mobile digital TV receiver gives users access to GMA, GTV (formerly GMA News TV), Heart of Asia, Hallypop, DepEd TV, as well as all other free-to-air digital TV channels available in their area.
The GMA Now is priced at a one-time payment of Php599, with no monthly fees. It is available online via GMA’s Official Store on Lazada and Shopee, or you can visit your nearest tech and gadget stores. To know more about GMA Now, see below its features, tutorials, channels, and list of supported locations.
GMA Now Features
- Mobile digital TV receiver
- GMA Now mobile app
- Exclusive interactive features: GMA Videos On-Demand, Groupee Chat, and Interactive Promos
- Screen recorder
- Picture-in-Picture (PIP) mode
What’s in the box?
- GMA Now device
- Telescopic Antenna (retractable and directional)
- Loop Antenna
- Micro-USB to Type-C adapter
- Quick Installation Guide
How To Use GMA Now?
The following are the tutorials on how to use the GMA Now device.
GMA Now minimum system requirements
Users can connect GMA Now DTV dongle to the micro-USB or Type-C port of an Android smartphone or tablet that meet the following minimum system requirements:
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Dual-core 1GHz CPU
- Support for USB On-The-Go (OTG) mode
Note: Currently, the GMA Now device is only compatible with an Android smartphone that runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) OS and up. It is also compatible with Huawei smartphones that support Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) OS or higher. The device does not support Apple (iOS) or Huawei (HarmonyOS).
Here’s how to set up and use the GMA Now device.
Firstly, make sure your smartphone is connected to the internet through WiFi or mobile data and turn on the OTG function. To get started, follow the instructions below:
1. Download and install the GMA Now app. Scan the QR code on the installation manual or search for the GMA Now app on the Google Play Store.
2. After downloading and installing the app, plug the GMA Now device into your phone and launch the GMA Now app.
3. When asked for app permissions, tap “Allow.”
4. On the Account Information page, register your mobile number, first name, last name, birthday, gender, then tap “Continue.” Review the information before tapping “Submit.”
5. Your registered mobile number will receive an SMS containing the OTP (One-Time PIN). If you have not received one, you can tap “Resend.”
6. Enter the OTP to register your account. Tap “Close” to complete the account registration.
7. The app will now begin the Channel scanning. Wait for it to finish then you can start watching available digital channels in your area.
8. The next time you want to use GMA Now device, plug the dongle and launch the app.
Note: Internet connection is not required in watching digital TV broadcasts. You will only need an internet connection to register a GMA Now account, a one-time procedure only. And when you want to access the online features, such as streaming videos on GMA Videos On-Demand, chatting on Groupee, and participating in the Interactive Games and Promos.
Navigate GMA Now app
To select a channel, you may tap anywhere on the video screen to reveal the list of the available channels, choose the channel you want, or swipe left or right with one finger on the video screen to move up or down the channel list.
In adjusting the audio volume, you can either use the built-in volume control buttons of your phone to increase or decrease the audio volume or swipe up or down with one finger on the video screen to adjust the volume.
If you want to adjust the brightness, swipe up or down with two fingers on the video screen to increase or decrease screen brightness.
To change the video aspect ratio, tap the TV part of the screen, then tap the aspect ratio icon until the desired ratio is reached. Available aspect ratios are 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, and Full. Click the Zoom icon to zoom in or zoom out the screen.
Some TV programs support EPG (Electronic Program Guide) and CC (Closed Captions). To access these features, tap the TV part of the screen, and then tap the EPG icon to display the current channel’s EPG list. For the CC, tap the CC icon to display the closed caption of the current program you are watching.
You can access GMA Now’s interactive features, including GMA Videos On-Demand, Groupee Chat, and Interactive Promos, while on portrait mode. They have specific tabs, namely Videos, Groupee, and Promo.
How to rescan channels in GMA Now?
1. Make sure that the GMA Now dongle is connected to your smartphone.
2. Launch the GMA Now app.
3. Set the orientation to portrait.
4. Tap the menu bar > Settings > Rescan Channels.
5. There’s a pop-up window that will appear “Simulan ang channel scan?”, tap the “OO” button.
Wait until it automatically scans all available channels in your area, which will take roughly 2 to 3 minutes.
Improve TV signal reception
If you’re experiencing weak TV signal reception, use the GMA Now device outdoors or near a window or door. To improve the signal reception, you can use the telescopic antenna instead of the loop antenna. When using the telescopic antenna, you can adjust the antenna’s orientation vertically or horizontally to get the best reception.
Scrambled channels are locked using a unique encryption protocol that can only be unlocked by a specific Set-Top Box (STB) or digital TV receiver/device. GMA Now cannot access “scrambled” channels managed by a different provider.
If you want to hide “scrambled” channels, tap the menu bar > Settings > Toggle ON the Hide scrambled channel.
GMA Now channels 2022
Below is the following list of digital TV channels available for GMA Now device in 2022. It may vary depending on your location.
- GTV (formerly GMA News TV – GNTV)
- Heart of Asia
- I Heart Movies
- DepEd TV
- BEAM UHF TV31 (PIE Channel)
- TV Shop
- Pilipinas HD
- Knowledge Channel
- Life TV
- TV 5
- One Sports
- One PH
- CNN Philippines HD
- PCOO TV
- Salaam TV
- Shop TV
- Solar Learning (DepEd TV ALS / NCR Prime / Central)
- IBC 13
- Light TV
- Light TV SD1
- A2Z Channel 11 (Zoe TV)
- INC TV
- NET 25
- Truth Channel
- SNC (SMNI News Channel)
- RJ DigiTV
- Oras ng Himala
- Radyo Bandido TV
- TV Maria
- Rock of Manila (RJ Rock TV)
GMA Now supported locations
Below is the list of coverage areas of the GMA Now device.
- Metro Manila
- Ilocos Sur
- La Union
- Nueva Ecija
- Camarines Sur (including Naga City)
- Bacolod City (and adjacent areas)
- Misamis Oriental (including Cagayan de Oro)
- Davao de Oro
- Davao del Norte
- Davao del Sur
If you can’t find your location on the list of coverage areas, don’t worry. It is anticipated that GMA will soon add more location support.
The GMA Now’s list of channels and supported locations will be updated once there are updates from channels or additional location support, so stay tuned.
To know more details about GMA Now, you can visit www.gmanow.tv or its official social media accounts: Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GMANow), Twitter (https://twitter.com/GMANow), and Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/GMANow).
You might also like:
GMA Affordabox (digital TV receiver for analog TV)
What are your thoughts about GMA Now? You can leave a comment below.